Pancreas: where located, how does it hurt?

Each organ performs a specific function and the pancreas is no exception. But few know what it is or where it is located. In certain problems the body can hurt and cause discomfort. How to determine the character of the pain and when to sound the alarm?

The function of the pancreas

It plays an important role in food processing. The authority has two main functions — exocrine (digestion) and endocrine (regulates the level of sugar in the blood).

What is the exocrine function? Exocrine glands produce enzymes that are important for digestion (trypsin, chymotrypsin — processing proteins, amylase to process carbohydrates, lipase is for fat destruction).

What is the endocrine function? Gland consists of islet cells (islets of Langerhans) that create and release important hormones into the bloodstream. These hormones are insulin (lowers blood sugar) and glucagon (increase blood sugar). Maintain the desired sugar level is crucial for the functioning of the brain, liver, kidneys.

See our publication Where are the liver and how to know when it hurts

Where is the pancreas: useful information

It is a long flattened gland located deep in the abdomen. Because it does not makes itself felt in everyday life, most people have no idea where it is. However, the organ is a vital part of the digestive system and helps to regulate blood sugar levels.

Where is the pancreas and how it hurts? The authority is not under the stomach. A gland located deep in the abdominal cavity. Its size is 15 cm in length. Part of the organ sandwiched between the stomach and spine. The second part is 12-duodenal gut through a small tube called the pancreatic duct. Gland is surrounded by such organs as the stomach, small intestine, liver, spleen. Pain in the gland can easily be confused with pain in the stomach.

The organ has a spongy texture, it is shaped like a flat pear or a fish placed horizontally across the abdomen.

Due to the deep location of the prostate pain felt on very rarely. They often do not exist even in the case of diagnosis of cancer of the body. As a result, the majority of symptoms of cancer glands do not appear until until the tumor gets so big and starts to put pressure on the 12-duodenum, liver, stomach.

Almost all of the pancreas (95%) consists of exocrine tissue that produces enzymes for digestion. The remaining tissue consists of endocrine cells (5%), they are also called islets of Langerhans. These Islands look like grapes, their main function is to regulate blood sugar levels.

Diseases of the pancreas: what?

Each of them has different symptoms, so diagnosing the disease is not possible without the necessary surveys. Often the problem is not making itself felt in the early stages.

  • Pancreatitis is an inflammatory process in the gland, triggered by the fact that digestive enzymes begin to digest the organ. There is an acute and chronic form of pancreatitis.
  • Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disease that is extremely rare.
  • Pancreatic cancer is to diagnose the disease is very difficult especially in the early stages. The main symptoms — abdominal pain, jaundice, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, digestive problems.

Factors contributing to cancer cancer — Smoking, diabetes, chronic pancreatitis.

To diagnose cancer, it is necessary to take blood tests, an ultrasound, more tests, a biopsy. Treatment options — surgery, radiation and chemotherapy.

Where is the pancreas and how it hurts? Now you know all about the location of the body and what functions it performs. If you have frequent pain in the abdomen and you feel unwell, consult a doctor.

Men’s website Mensweekly.ru

По материалам: mensweekly.ru